Jonathan Ames, born 23 March 1964, is an American author of novels and comic memoirs, which include Wake Up, Sir! And The Extra Man. He was also a columnist for the New York Press. He created the HBO television series Bored to Death.
Quotes on writing:
- I don’t know what’s more difficult, life or the English language.
- A lot of writing is a form of seeing – putting down what you see in terms of action and landscape.
- People don’t expect too much from literature. They just want to know they’re not alone with being confused.
- A lot of writers, probably because they’re sensitive and that makes them want to be writers, have fears about their masculinity, so they overcompensate by having an interest in boxing and tough-guy things.
- When I was in college, I had the good fortune to have Joyce Carol Oates as my writing teacher. She told me that I could take an aspect of myself, and from that one bit of personality, I can create a character. This is what I have done, particularly in my novels.